Your gate way to Incredible India
       Visa Information 
Any foreigner who wants to enter India must have a valid visa affixed on his or her passport. This can be obtained from the Indian Consulate in your country. Foreign nationals of Indian origin, their spouses and children can obtain visas from the Consulate. Foreign nationals of Indian origin, their spouses and children can obtain Entry Visas valid upto 10 years.

Tourist Visas can be obtained for six months, one year and 10 years. Visas of the appropriate type should be obtained by students, businessmen, journalists and others who want to visit India for professional purposes.
Validity of visas: All types of visas are valid for the indicated period from the date of issue (and not repeat  
   not from the date of first entry into India).
• Post-dated visas are not issued.
Application form and picture requirements: All applicants for Entry and Tourist visas are required to fill out an
  application  form  and  provide  one  recent  passport  size  photograph. Applicants  for  Business, Research, 
  Journalist and some other types of visas are required to submit two forms duly filled in and two pictures.
Visas to non-residents: Visas can also be issued to persons who normally do not live in the jurisdiction of this
  Consulate (this also includes people holding Tourist / Business visas) after obtaining clearance from the
  Indian Mission under whose jurisdiction the applicant normally resides. This however takes a few weeks. The
  applicant may, however, pay an additional charge for clearance by fax or telex
Restricted area permits: Persons desiring to go to a restricted area should fill in special forms and apply well 
  in  advance  as  clearances  are required before a permit can be issued to travel to these places. It takes at
  least 6 to 8 weeks to receive the Government of India's clearances in such cases.
Requirements for student visas: Firm letters of admission from Universities, recognized Colleges or Educatio-
  nal Institutions in India are required for issuance of Regular Student Visas.
Applicants are also required to produce satisfactory evidence of financial support. In case of admission in a
  medical or a para-medical course, the applicant has also to produce a 'No Objection Certificate' from the
  Ministry of Health, Government of India, to obtain a Student Visa.
Applicants for Student Visas who want to pursue graduate or post-graduate studies in Engineering/Techno- 
  logy  are  required  to  produce  a  similar  'No  Objection  Certificate'  from  the Ministry of Human Resource
  Development (Department of Education). Provisional Student Visas for a period of 6 months can however be
  issued  on  production  of a Provisional Admission Certificate issued by a University / recognized Educational
  Institution in India. It  can  be  changed to a regular student visa in India itself subject to completion of the
  formalities listed above. However, no change of institute / purpose is allowed.
The  entry  of  foreigners, stay, movements  and  departure  is regulated by the Acts passed by the Indian
   Parliament and rules framed thereunder by the Central Government from time to time.
Foreigners  who  enter  India  should  have  a  valid passport, visa or other accredited travel documents. All 
  foreigners should enter India through authorised checkpost or airport only.They are subjected to immigration
  check at the airport or check post.
All  foreigners  who  enter  India  or  depart  from India either by air or sea shall furnish a true statement of
  particulars setting it out in form 'D' embarkation card
The  civil  authority under Foreigners Order 1948 has powers to impose restrictions on the movement of any
  foreigner in India. The authority can also refuse a foreigner entry into India if he/she does not posses a valid
  passport, or is  insane  or  is  suffering  from any infectious disease or has been convicted for an extradition
  offence or if his/her entry is prejudicial to the interest of the country
All foreigners  who  desire to stay in  India  beyond  180 days have to register themselves at the Foreigners
  Registration  Office within two weeks of their arrival. Those who intended to stay for less than 180 days but
  ended  up  staying  longer also have to register themselves. Any violation of this provision makes them liable
  for prosecution under section 5 of the Registration of Foreigners Act, 1939
The  State  Registration  Officer  in the State capital functions as the liaison office between the Foreigners
  Registration Officers (FRO) and the government. The Foreigner Registration Officer is the primary agency to
  regulate  the  registration, movement, stay, departure  and  also for recommending the extension of stay in
A foreigner who enters India on a valid visa shall report before the Foreigners Registration Officer within two
  weeks of arrival and get himself registered. He has to produce 6 sets of photos, passport copies, visa page,
  etc. Thereafter the FRO will issue registration certificate and a residential permit upto the validity of the visa
A foreigner coming  to India  on  a  tourist  visa valid for 6 months need not register his name. However this
  depends on the condition noted on the visa.
Children  of  foreigners  under  16  years  of  age  residing  in  India need not register their name as they are
  exempted from Registration (Exemption) Order 1957. But they will be issued a residential permit for their stay
  in India. They should also obtain extension for their stay from time to time
Foreigners  who  wish  to  stay  in  India  beyond the visa period should apply for extension of stay 90 days
  before  his  Residential  Permit is due to expire. The Central Government has delegated limited powers to the
  FROs to grant extension of stay to foreigners and in all other cases the following documents are to be sent 
  to the State government.

       -- Application duly filled and signed by the foreigner in duplicate.

       -- Photostat copy of the valid passport along with visa page.

       -- HIV certificate issued by a recognised medical institution.

       -- Copy of the registration certificate and residential permit.

       -- Financial guarantee given by an Indian citizen on a Rs 10 stamp paper.

       -- Photostat copy of the bank account and remittance and letter given by the bank manager.

       -- Police report in English issued by the jurisdictional police station where  the foreigner resides.

       -- Receipt for having paid the prescribed fee to the RBI under head of   account OAS-0070.

       -- In case of businessmen, the agreement between the firm and the  Government of India.

       -- In case of employment visa, letter of consent of the firm where the  foreigner is employed.
 For any other visa related query please write to us at
Webmasters may publish extracts from this travel guide on their websites, subject to the following conditions.
Copyright ? 2005 Clipper Tourism Pvt Ltd. All rights reserved. By its very nature much of the information in this guide is subject to change at short notice and travelers are urged to verify information on which they're relying with
the relevant authorities. Clipper Tourism cannot accept any responsibility for any loss or inconvenience to
any person as a result of information contained above
? 2010 Clipper Tourism
Developed & Maintained by            Pan India Consultants Pvt. Ltd.